RAF Feltwell Memorial
75 (New Zealand) Squadron Memorial, Feltwell
In the ground of Saint Mary's Church in the village of Feltwell, to the north of RAF Feltwell aerodrome is a memorial dedicated to all personnel of No. 75 (New Zealand) Squadron. The memorial was unveiled on 8th November, 2003, by Cannon David Keightley, Rural Dean of Feltwell, Mr Jack Richardson, President of the 75 Squadron Association and the Hon Russell Marshall, High Commissioner for New Zealand.
On 4th April, 1940, the New Zealand Flight, which had formed on 1st June, 1939, to train Wellington bomber crews in preparation for the delivery of this type to New Zealand, was redesigned No. 75 (New Zealand) Squadron, RAF. The unit's first base became RAF Feltwell in Norfolk.
In August 1942 No. 75 Squadron moved to nearby RAF Mildenhall. There, the unit began conversion to the Short Sirling.
From the end of June 1943, the squadron operated out of RAF Mepal. The first Lancasters for the squadron arrived here in March 1944. From July 1945 No. 75 Squadron was flying from RAF Spilsby in Lincolnshire until 15th October, 1945, the date of its disbandment as a Royal Air Force unit.
The proud unit reformed in the Royal New Zealand Air Force in 1946 to fly Mosquitos from RNZAF Base Ohakea.
The Memorial is located in the ground of Saint Mary's Church, in the centre of Feltwell village, Norfolk.
No. 75 (NZ) Squadron Memorial, Feltwell show on larger map